Tuesday, November 2, 2010

LAX & Cream cheese

Seattle was kind to us this morning.  The rain was coming down in sheets; a good reminder as to what we'll be missing over the next few weeks.  It was a little sad to leave, but let's just say once we broke through the clouds (barely did) it was sunny.  A nice, bright sun.

LAX.  What a beautiful place, for the first 15 minutes.  We're 6 hours into a 9 hour layover - the alternative was either a stop in Portland or a 60 minute stop over, which seemed much to short, especially considering the trans-pacific flight we were about to take.  So, LAX it for 9 hours it is.

It's been fun people watching - or more specifically, talking with people.  For instance, discussing the price of a hamburger, which is a little more than $15.  Much to much for those without a paycheck ;)  So I headed to Starbucks with Ethan while Amy slept. 

"Do you sell cream cheese with your bagels? … Excellent.  Would you be able to toast the bagel for me?… Really, no toaster?  Who eats a bagel with cream cheese that's not been toasted?  I'll be back, going to check with Burger King to see if they can toast my bagel"

"Hello, would you mind toasting a bagel if I purchased one from Starbucks?… [strange look, new person] Hi, if I purchased a bagel from SB, would you mind toasting it?… That's ok, an industrial toaster would work just fine.  Just pretend it's one of your buns… OK, than can I purchase a hamburger that never touched the meat?  I just want the bun.  Really, you can't promise that? … Thanks all the same"

Now Ethan shines.  We bounce over to the local pub, and ask if they'd mind toasting a bagel as per the burgers they sell…. "For you, no, sorry.  But for a your little guy?  No problem.  But in the 10 years I've been working here, no one's ever asked me that question before!"

Not that I like to be a pain in the rear end, I just really wanted a toasted bagel.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I somehow started reading the middle of this post instead of the beginning and was asking myself, "Would this be something Kevin would do or Amy?" Thus my conclusion was Kevin, and I was right. I could see you all smiles while asking for a toasted bagel all over the airport. ;-)

Meme said...

hahahah... .love this... truly a bagel not toasted is not a bagel... it's a wanna be bagel... love reading about the trip so far!